Editor’s note: Google has made an update and Gmail Add-ons now support domain-wide installation. As a result, G Suite admins can now install Gmail Add-ons for their own accounts.
We all spend a significant part of our day in email—fielding client or customer requests and discussing strategies. These emails often come in fast and furious. Right as you’re working on an answer for a client or teammate, another email comes in marked “urgent.”
So you turn your attention to the new email and forget about the one you were working on. Your co-worker or the client has to send a follow-up and you feel guilty for dropping the ball. Emails fall through the cracks like this all the time—and it can quickly derail work.
While email, such as Gmail, is the most common way to communicate about work, it wasn’t built for tracking to-dos or managing projects. That’s where Asana comes in. Asana is built to help teams plan, manage, and track work. By combining the two in this new Asana for Gmail add-on, you’ll be able to send emails to Asana and get the best of both worlds.
We’ve been working with the G Suite team to perfect the Asana for Gmail Add-on and today we’re excited to share that Asana for Gmail is now available in the G Suite Marketplace. With this add-on, you can turn your emails with clients, customers, and teammates into actionable tasks that are tracked in Asana—without leaving your inbox.
Stop losing action items in your inbox
From directly within Gmail, you can now turn an email into a task, assign it to yourself or a teammate, set a due date, add it to a project, and include attachments. Once an email and a task are linked, any actions taken in either Gmail or Asana will automatically appear in the Asana sidebar in Gmail or the task in Asana.
The daily “tasks due” reminder email you receive from Asana is a great way to assess your workload and stay on track. Now you can make progress on these tasks directly from this email. Just select a task, comment on the task, or complete it.
If you need to reference a task while communicating, you can use the existing task selection to search for a task and see the most current information on the task without leaving your Gmail inbox.
Turn conversation into action
In addition to using Asana for Gmail as a quick way to turn emails into tasks without leaving your inbox, here are some popular workflow examples customers have been sharing:
- Agency campaign planning: As you communicate with clients, turn these emails into tasks and attach them to specific campaign projects in Asana. Then, as your internal team makes progress on campaign work in Asana, you can see it and communicate updates back to clients without leaving Gmail.
- Recruiting: Turn email threads with candidates into tasks for hiring managers to quickly confirm or share feedback on a candidate. Then, as interview times are requested within the Asana task, you can see this info within the Asana sidebar in Gmail and reply to the applicant to schedule their interview.
- Event planning: You have to manage a bunch of different vendors when planning an event. When you get emails about changing deadlines and budgets from vendors, add them as tasks within your event planning project in Asana. Then internal groups stay in the loop and can approve these changes, and you can reply to vendors—without leaving your inbox.
- And more: The possibilities are endless. This add-on will help you turn any email communication into actionable work. Our team even used it to manage the launch of this add-on with Google :+1:.
- Install the Asana for Gmail add-on from the GSuite Marketplace today. Asana for Gmail is also available in the Gmail mobile app for Android, so you can send emails from your Android phone to Asana no matter where you are.
Editor’s note: Gmail Add-Ons don’t allow for admin installation yet. Google will be adding admin support soon, but unfortunately this means you can only install Add-ons to a non-admin account, meaning that if you are an admin you won’t be able to install the Add-on for yourself. We’ll update you as soon as this changes. Additionally, Add-Ons are currently not available for Inbox for Gmail.